Since a long time ago, somewhere late 2005, I have already begun using this excellent software called MyUninstall from Nirsoft . What it does is keep a record of softwares that I have installed in my system. This is important for me because there are times when I want to track down probelmatic installations and uninstall applications by date. The default Windows XP Add/Remove Program application does not show the details of the installation. Anyway, here's a screenshot of the handy app, MyUninstall .
Today, I would like to introduce 3 other superb applications by Nirsoft that helps you to recover lost and forgotten passwords. Each of them securely handles the password on your computer in encrypted databases that are only accessible by the computer administrator. Do take notice that the softwares are completely clean and contain no hidden virus or trojan. However, because it is a password recovery tool, it is common for certain anti virus applications to give out 'Flase Alerts'.
1. Dial-Up Password Recovery
This application handles the dial up module of Windows XP, which is commonly used for normal modem dial up access to the internet and connecting to virtual private networks. Good thing about it is it allows you to see the passwords that are stored in your computer, though windows will normally censor it by replacing '*' asteriks. Passwords can only be seen by the administrator. As time goes by, we may forget our password, so this tool is surely handy for recovering it.
2. Email Password Recovery
There are a total of 11 email clients supported. They are :
- Outlook Express
- Microsoft Outlook 2000 (POP3 and SMTP Accounts only)
- Microsoft Outlook 2002/2003 (POP3, IMAP, HTTP and SMTP Accounts)
- Netscape 6.x/7.x
- Mozilla Thunderbird
- Group Mail Free
- Yahoo! Mail – If the password is saved in Yahoo! Messenger application.
- Hotmail/MSN mail – If the password is saved in MSN Messenger application.
- Gmail – If the password is saved by Gmail Notifier application, Google Desktop, or by Google Talk.
3. Instant Messenger Password Recovery
My 2 favourite instant messengers are Windows Live and Yahoo!. Both of them are user friendly and has pretty interactive features. The thing is, when I start both applications, I am logged on automatically. If I don't type in my passwords for some time, I may forget them. Which is a disaster if I
do. So here's the nifty tool by NirSoft that recovers passwords according to users logged in. That means, if my brother and I use different accounts in Windows, I cannot sniff his password with this application. I can only see my own. Now, isn't that great? Secure and safe. Here's a list of IM supported :
- MSN Messenger
- Windows Messenger (In Windows XP)
- Yahoo Messenger (Versions 5.x and 6.x)
- Google Talk
- ICQ Lite 4.x/5.x/2003
- AOL Instant Messenger (only older versions, the password in newer versions of AIM cannot be recovered)
- AOL Instant Messenger/Netscape 7
Have fun recovering passwords! =)
Dial Up Pass
dial up password recovery.
Mail Pass View
email password recovery.
instant messenger password recovery.